“Let me tell you a little about myself. I am…” With these words, we tend to sum up who we are. “I am a Christian. I am a wife. I am a Mother, writer, former nurse, gardener, friend.” These are all “I am” statements that are true about myself and I could add more. We all have “I am” statements. These “I am” statements are words that anyone could say about me and be verified true or untrue. But, what about the “I am” statements that only within ourselves we can confirm as true?
Too many times in my life, my “I am” statements have been negative. I may not have said them out loud for others to hear, but I have said them loud and clear echoing over and over again in my brain, least I forget. For way too long my head has been full of negative “I am” statements.
These statements sound something like this: “I am not good enough…, I am not talented enough…, I am not pretty enough…, I am not smart enough…” I think I’ve said some form of negative “I am” statement in jest, in sarcasm, in seriousness, and in despair. You know what? It’s all a lie! A big fat, stupid, ugly, no-good lie!
Saying or thinking negatively about yourself is a subtle, over-the-course-of-time sly word-play with ideas that are not grounded in Christ. The ideas could have been rooted from your earliest childhood, or developed over at lifetime. Since I’ve been intentional about how I think and what I say about myself, I’ve noticed that just about everyone I know has something negative to say about themselves. Lies they hold on to.
Why do we hold on to these lies? Because, in some part of those negative “I am” statements we think they’re true, or at least somewhat true. I have one thing to tell you about negative self-talk. Stop it. That’s it. Just stop it. If you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior, then your identity is found in Him and Him alone.
Only you can confirm or deny them with your own “I am” statements. I can tell you who “you are” in Christ. God’s word can tell you who “you are” in Christ, but only you can confirm it by saying:
“I am” accepted. I am called. I am complete. I am favored. I am a heir of God. I am His. I am loved. I am qualified. I am treasured.
We are made in the image of our Holy Lord. (Genesis 1:26) God tells us in Exodus 3:13 that He says “I Am Who I AM.” There is no-one greater than God and His “I am” can only be backed up with Himself. Should we, who are made in His image, not follow suit and make our “I am” statements based on who He says we are?
Don’t believe the lie any longer. Know who you are in Christ Jesus. He paid with His life for you. He loves you more than you can know.
Replace your negative “I am” statements with statements of faith. Believe what Jesus has to say about you and receive it. As a Christian, our source, our rock, our standard for everything we believe should be in God’s Holy Word.
Let’s go to God’s word and see what He says who you are, His beloved child.
- I am accepted. To the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved. Ephesians 1:6
- I am abounding in grace. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8
- I am anxious for nothing. Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
- I am appointed. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. John 15:16
- I am blessed. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ. Ephesians 8:28
- I am brought near. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:13
- I am called. God is Faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Corinthians 1:9
- I am a citizen of heaven. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, The Lord Jesus Christ, Philippians 3:20
- I am complete. and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power. Colossians 2:10
- I am Delivered. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love. Colossians 1:13
- I am favored. For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous; With favor You will surround him as with a shield. Psalm 5:12
- I am a heir of God. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:29
- I am His. Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. Isaiah 43:1
- I am loved. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16
- I am never Forsaken. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5
- I am protected. But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one. 2 Thessalonians 3:3
- I am provided for. And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19
- I am royalty. But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 1 Peter 2:9
- I am safe. I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; For You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8
- I am treasured. They shall be Mine, “says the LORD of hosts, “On the day that I make them My jewels (Literally special treasure) And I will spare them as a man spares his own son who serves him.” Malachi 3:17
- I am valued. Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Matthew 6:26
Repeat these out loud and often, and any others you find during your own Bible study. Thoroughly integrate His word, His promises into your heart.
(Most all of the above are compiled by SGLY Ministry – http://www.smilgodlovesyou.org)